Friday, May 25, 2018

Rowdy's Story

Today was perhaps one of the hardest days I have ever had to experience in my life.  After 17 1/2 years, my beloved little Rowdy crossed over the Rainbow Bridge to join my other beloved dog, (Gloria).  A dear friend once asked me a few years back if I thought it would be easier to let Rowdy go when her time came, since Gloria's was so sudden and I had watched Rowdy's health decline over the years.  I told him I thought it would be easier to release her from her pain, knowing that she was starting to suffer the woes of old age.  But, that is not the case.  I can not tell you what happened today.  My mind has completely blocked the entire event from existence.  I remember driving to the vet's office this morning and walking into the building.  I somewhat remember them weighing her, (she had always for years maintained a weight of 40 to 42 pounds, but was down to 27 pounds).  Other than that, I honestly can only tell you what Dave has told me, when I would ask him about it later.  I worried that she fought the process, but he assured me that I was there holding her, talking to her and calming her, and that she went very quick and peacefully.  For that I am very grateful.

Rowdy was born in January 2001 in Ogden to a farmer.  She was the smallest dog in the litter and he thought she would not make a very good working dog, (due to her size).  She was therefore put up for pet adoption, and transferred to the Bountiful Humane Society, (which was located a couple blocks over from where I was working at the time).  My golden, (Gloria), was very lonely during the day, while I worked, and the vet strongly suggested I get another dog to keep her company.  So, on a whim, I stopped by on a lunch hour at the kennel to see if any of the dogs interested me.  As I walked along the outside kennel, all the dogs were jumping, barking, and very determined to get my attention.  All except for one small black and white puppy, who walked to the end of the kennel, sat down and patiently waited for me to approached and ask, "What's your name little one?"  She then  licked my hand and melted my heart with her gentle way.  I went inside and asked about the little black and white puppy.  I still remember the receptionist saying, "Oh, you mean Rowdy, the Border Collie.  She just came in from Ogden a couple days ago."  She pulled out the file and told me the story about the 6 month old puppy.  She asked, "Would you like to take her outside and get to know her?"  I agreed that I wanted to.  She got a leash, got the puppy, and out the front door and under a tree we went to sit down and get to know each other.  After about a half hour, I returned the puppy and said, "I'll come back tomorrow and let you know."  The next day, (Wednesday), I returned and repeated the process, Thursday I also repeated the process, and again on Friday.  But on Friday, I asked, "Can I adopt her tonight when I get off work.  The receptionist smiled, and said, "We've had a hold on her paperwork for you since Wednesday."  I immediately filled out the paperwork, and told her that I would pick up the puppy after work.  When I stopped by after work, I brought my co-worker (Chris Reed), with me.  She took one look at the puppy and declared her an absolute delight.  She told me that Gloria would love her.  One note, Gloria was already used to the puppy's scent, (since I had been visiting the puppy everyday for 3 days).  Once we got home, I entered the house with Rowdy, (the kennel had already named her and I never changed it - boy did she live up to the name at times), and when Gloria came running to me, I said, "Look Gloria, I got you a new baby."  Gloria immediately sniffed her, accepted her, and mothered her from that day forward.  It was a perfect match!  Since it was the 4th of July weekend, Rowdy needed to return to the kennel Monday morning to be spayed.  She came home Monday evening, and Gloria fussed and fretted over her all evening until Rowdy finally was back to her old self.

While Gloria was most definitely my dog, and she let everyone know it.  Rowdy was everyone's dog.  She loved people.  She loved everyone.  And everyone loved her.  Even small children loved her.  And she was very patient with them.  Even last week, as I was returning from our morning walk, we stopped to talk to our next door neighbor for a minute, and her little 3 year old girl, (who loves Rowdy), walked over to pet her.  Rowdy was so patient with children, even in her advanced years.  I used to joke that Rowdy could tell time.  Every afternoon at 4 PM, she had to go outside.  Not to use the bathroom, but to stand on the corner, so the children walking home from school could all passed by her and give her hugs and pet her.  She felt it was her job to be there for them.  She also felt it was her job to be at the community mailbox, (which sits at the corner of our property), to greet the neighbors as they stop to get their mail.  She has been called the mail greeter.  Several have opened their car doors and tried to coax her to get inside and go home with them, but to no avail.  She's only there for the pat on the head and the greetings, then she's back up on the porch to be let in.

She learned the boundaries of our property, without any instructions from us ??  She never left our property to cross the street, or go into the neighbor's yard.  How she knew exactly where our property ended, I'll never figure out.  One summer day a few years back, she managed to slip out the front door, (without my knowing), and I locked the front door and headed out back to work in the garden.  After about half and hour, I started hearing a dog barking on the other side of our vinyl fence.  Thinking it was a neighbor's dog, I simply yelled, "Go Home".  The barking stopped for a few minutes, then the dog returned.  This continued for about an hour on and off.  The dog would bark and scratch at the fence, I would yell, "Go Home".  The dog would leave and then return to the exact spot in the garden where I was working.  When I finished in the garden, I went inside.  After a few minutes, I noticed Rowdy was missing.  I called for her and looked everywhere.  Finally I opened the front door, and there she stood, looking through the storm door window at me with that 'Finally you came for me' look on her face.  I opened the door, and she flew into my arms.  She was so glad that I didn't forget about her.  I learned to check for her whereabouts after that, whenever I went out back.

Our home, our street, and our neighborhood will be a little lost without Rowdy.  While some people didn't know Dave's name, or maybe mine, they knew Rowdy and that we were Rowdy's parents.  And when we were out walking Rowdy, people would wave and speak.  And Rowdy always brought a smile to everyone's face.  She was a happy dog, and she brought joy to those she came in contact with.  My grandchildren grew up with her, and my great granddaughter also had a few years to enjoy the gentle loving black and white dog known as Rowdy.

Rest In Peace my little girl.  Good chase the balls and enjoy the warm sunshine and the cool breezes on your face once more.  I shall see in once again in the next life.  I miss you so much already.

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment