Saturday, May 25, 2019

Aunt Judy

My Aunt Judy passed away this month, on Mother's Day, (May 12th).  She passed away at home, (the one she grew up in and lived her whole live).  She was 72 years old.  She was more like a sister than an aunt.  She was the youngest of 13 children.  While all her brothers and sisters married and moved away to raise their families, Judy stayed behind to take care of her mom and dad until the day they passed away.  She finally married the love of her live at the age of 40.  Raymond was 28 years older than her, and his children were her age, but she loved them as her children, and she loved his grandchildren as her own.  She was grief stricken for years after he passed away.

I got me driver's license at 17, and from that time on I was always on the road driving down to West Virginia to visit Aunt Judy, Uncle Minter, and Aunt Mae.  While I lived in Ohio, I would ofter make the trip 2 or 3 times a month.  After I moved to Utah, I would still visit 2 times a years.  Judy said that I visited her more than any of her other nieces or nephews, even after I moved to Utah.  We would talk for hours on the phone, and when I visited we would stay up all night talking.  We could tell each other anything.

Judy loved her cigarettes.  She started smoking at the age of 16, and did stop until just a couple of months before her death.  She died from COPD, emphysema, and an enlarged heart.  All most likely due to years of smoking.  She still wouldn't give the cigarettes up.

I will truly miss Aunt Judy.  She loved a good joke.  She loved shopping, (even though she was as poor as a church mouse).  And she loved her home and gardening.  She also loved me, my son, and my grandchildren.  Her home was always open to us, and when she knew we were coming for a visit, she would sit up all night until we arrived.  The porch light was always on for us.

Rest In Peace Aunt Judy.  You are now united with Uncle Raymond, (the love of your live).

No comments:

Post a Comment